In order to realise the best Return on Interim a few rules need to be observed:
1) A clear brief – be absolutely sure about the reasons you are hiring – and know that your brief is a “moveable feast”, capable of changing as the assignment proceeds.
2) Objectives and deliverables – inside your brief, make sure you have clear objectives and deliverables. These also need to be agreed by all necessary stakeholders.
3) Person specification – who is the person you are trying to hire? What characteristics, skills and experience do you need in the role? What kind of cultural fit do you need? This last question is especially important.
4) Milestones – as well as objectives and deliverables, part of a successful assignment will include defining particular milestones and timelines. Make these “markers” part of the assignment plan so you are able to recognise success or challenge.
5) Agreement in the business – although you may have the above authority to hire, is there agreement about the role amongst wider stakeholders who will be affected? Team members that may work with the individual for example? Do they understand why this person is being brought in?
6) Regular communications – whether it is for one month or one year, it is important that you schedule in regular updates or reviews with the interim to understand progress or pain points. If you are using a professional Interim Provide, they should also be in regular touch.
7) Sounding board – as someone with an independent perspective, interims can also be used as a sounding board for companies when they want a fresh opinion – perhaps on a specific project, programme or overall company performance.
8) Exit plan – Although it may sound premature, it is important to ensure that you have an exit strategy and timeline in place for your interim, with an allocated amount of time given over to a knowledge and skills transfer. A professional interim always leaves quickly, quietly and with a legacy in place.
Ellis Fox has a reputation for providing a quality service, high level customer care coupled with the ability to source permanent and interim candidates of the highest calibre right across the Utilities, Infrastructure and Construction sectors. Please call today on 020 7183 0255 or schedule a telephone consultation: http://www.ellisfox.co.uk/Appointments